2013年9月8日星期日

Is Taiwan part of or separate from China?

Hmm...I just wanna say "Don't be afraid, my dear friend, it's not a political class!!!"


Since I came here, I've been asked a lot of times "Is Taiwan a part of China?"
To be honest, my answer would be "WHATEVER".

When I was 10 years old, my history teacher once said in a class. 
"Maybe it would be better if Chiang Kai-shek won the native war."
After that, I often imagine it! But history is the history.

Some elderly are so admiring Mao Zedong.
A friend told me her grandpa was a huge fan of Mao. Once when they had dinner with the whole family, her grandpa and uncle talked about Mao and Deng Xiaoping. Her uncle insisted Deng was better than Mao.
At last, his grandpa pushed the table away in anger!


In China, lots of people believe Taiwan is a part of China.(Because our textbooks say so..)
The first time, a girl from Beru asked the question. 
A Chinese girl answered firmly "There's no such a country called Taiwan. It's a part of China."
The truth is at least we have different passports.

Comparing the visa-free countries China and Taiwan passports have, you'll find Taiwanese are travelling while the Chinese are doing expedition!!
China's visa-free countries

Taiwan's visa-free countries

 
Last night, I played card games with friends. One round we were asked to say countries one by one. A girl from South Korea said "Taiwan". I stopped for seconds but said nothing. 
I found that friends from Taiwan they always say they came from Taiwan. They are not Chinese.



Whatever, I do not really care if Taiwan is a country or a part of China. 
I like the friends from Taiwan and it's awesome that we can speak the same language.

I'm always curious about what other countries talk about China. 
I know it would be worse than what we can read in China but I would love to know it.

There's an old Chinese saying,"History is like a little girl, for people to dress up as they fancy。"
But I prefer that history is a mysterious old witch. We can dispel the magic if we read and learn more.




2 条评论:

  1. It sounds like you're keeping an open mind regarding Taiwan and I think that's great because many people automatically believe whatever their governments tell them.

    I think one of the most profound aspects of your post is the image of the two passports side by side. I have lived in Taiwan a few years and it is in every sense of the word, a country. It has it's own government, military, economic structure and culture. But one of the things some Taiwanese need to let go of is the old KMT dream of retaking the mainland. I can assure you that those in the south don't believe in such things. They just want to be Taiwan, a free, internationally recognized, island country.

    Thanks again for your writing.

    回复删除
    回复
    1. I realized that people in power always hide their dark sides when I was about 15 years old.
      At first, it was sad. Since what I believed was wrong. But then I felt it was interesting to find out the truth.(I know there's no absolutely TRUTH)

      I hope I can go to Taiwan some day! I love the food there!!

      Thanks for your comment!:))

      删除