2014年9月3日星期三

From Oklahoma to Boston. What a difference!

Still, after a week in Boston, I still couldn't believe it's true: I am here in Boston!

Though I have been lived in United States for one year, it's totally a different place for me. From Oklahoma to Boston, what a difference!

The last sunset in my hometown Wenzhou

After an exhausting travel from China, I arrived in Boston.A brand new life is waiting for me.

I skyped with Maria and Janine when I was at the Hongkong Airport. Miss the friends!!!

1. Housing.
First thing to deal with is housing. I am so thankful that OU prepared the housing for all the International students. I was really desperate, since I knew nobody here in Boston, and it was really late to look for a room. 
Searching on Craigslist, I found a place. After seeing the house twice, I thought I liked it. So I filed the application and send the copy of my I-20 to the landlord. 
But I changed my mind as soon as I lay down on bed. The room is too old and too gloomy and cold. The next morning, when I started searching for housing again, I got the electric lease from the landlord. I was freaking out!
I contacted a friend, Troy, who lives in Illinois, to ask if I could say no the lease. Troy  comforted me and tell me to calm down. And he found me a girl in Boston, who works for a church!

In the same day, my second day in Boston, I found my room. I made the quick decision, and hope it is a good one.
It was a room with a small balcony in the third floor. I am satisfied with everything, expect I have three MALE roommates.
I didn't get the news until Sept 1. Before, the agency asked if I mind live with guys. I said no. But I didn't mean ONLY man. ;(
I have never lived with any guys except my dad and my brother. I couldn't picture me living with three MEN. I was shocked when I heard the news from the agency. Maybe I should have thought about this before I signed the lease.
Well, it just happened. And I guess I'll have to deal with it, at least, for now.
My room has a small balcony!!!


2. Transportation.
Boston is a nice city, especially with convenient commute. I can take the train to the most city, which is totally different from Norman, Oklahoma. I couldn't even do grocery by myself back to Norman.
But it is not very easy to do now neither. I walked to the Star Market happily, enjoying the sunshine and the beautiful scene. But I had to carry them for a 10-minute-walking. Though it was a short distance, but with carrying the stuff, it was not so easy. But I'll have to do that time to time since now, a good work out for my arms I guess.

The metro takes me everywhere.


The metros and the sunset.

Besides, I can get cabs easily here, though it is really expensive. The meter changes so fast, even faster than the cabs in Dubai!!
This morning, I tried Uber for the first time. I had to move my luggages to my new room, and there was no cabs. So I used the app Uber.
It was convenient and quick. But I found the Uber charged more than the meter showed. I guess I need to pay for the convenience.

3. HUGS?
I didn't do hug at all before Oklahoma. Chinese don't do hug usually.
But last year, the warm people I met in Oklahoma changed me. And I thought Americans do hug too.

So when the Americans I meet in Boston shake hands with me, like we usually do in China, I was a little bit shocked.
I asked the agency if people do hug in Boston, or it's just because I am Chinese. He told me that people won't hug until they are very close to each other. Girls hugs, but not guys. They hug on dates, but not to people they just meet.

It may because most people I met in Oklahoma were Europeans and Latin Americans, so we hugged each other a LOT! But Americans in Oklahoma hug too.

I don't really like the people here think Oklahoma is conservative, not civilized. It could be true in some part, but for me, I like WARM people. There will be a hard time for me to get used to the cold people.
I miss the bus drivers at OU, whom we said Thank you, Have a nice day to!




4. Chinese EVERYWHERE!
Because of so many reasons, I got to know maybe ten Chinese in the year at OU, really talked maybe five of them.
So I was really shocked when I walked on the street and see Chinese every second. WOW!!! We are really everywhere.
It has pros. There are a lot of Chinese restaurants and supermarkets here. The Chinatown has nice Cantonese cuisine.
The cons? I guess I'll just have to get used to that. Since 35% of the International students at BU are Chinese!
The Commomwealth Ave is really beautiful!


5. New Life in Boston.
I am still trying to settle down. I just got my mattress today, still waiting for the frame. I have nothing in my room. I still don't know my schedule as a tutor in the Writing Center, which could be a big challenge for me.
But I am sure that I will get through all these, and have a fantastic life in Boston. Though I may cry, I may feel depressed, I will try my best to live a happy life and learn things.


My college building. 




Saw kids walking together. Super cute!






没有评论:

发表评论