2014年9月20日星期六

First Three Weeks Being An Adult.

Finally, I have my first weekend in Boston!
Took by my partner Nikita in front of my collage building.

1) School.
Register. Drop. Register again. Drop again. The same course. It happened in my first two weeks. Couldn't make the decision, I changed my mind every day until last Thursday. 
Finally, I am taking 16 credits this semester. 

And I already get two credits, painful but exciting!
Last two weekends, we had 9 to 5 classes every day. It was a kinda "boot camp," teaching us photo shooting and making videos. So carrying the heavy tripods, mics and cameras, I had four wonderful days.
I took a video of my partner's dancing story and edited it in Final Cut Pro. It was so interesting to cut the interview video, put them together and add music and photos. 
 
From the top of Hyatt across the Charles river.

One of the courses really opens a new world for me-- Data Storytelling.
I have been interested in data for a long time. In my capstone paper, I analyzed the data of the digital subscription of The New York Times, which was time consuming but interesting. 
I am thrilled at the new course, which teaches us to search, analyze, and request for data from internet and government. 
In China, we are allowed to request public records. There were few university students requesting the government officials to show the government records, but failed. And every request was regarded as super brave.
I cannot say how exciting I am that I could make request for public records, which can be everything I want to know. 
Political asylum is a topic that I have been curious about for a long time. I am surprised to learn that the top reason for Chinese to apply for the asylum in America is One Child Policy.
Though I may never get the data I want, but I would fight for it. It feels good to have the right and use it.

2) Commute.
Somehow, I live super close to Boston College. It takes me one hour to commute every day. So you will see me sitting in the train, reading The Wall Street Journal with highlight pen every morning. 
One thing annoys me a lot. I see the train passing every morning when I walk to the station! Maybe it's just bad luck, or the train doesn't like me. ;(
I didn't get any time for football games. But at least I can feel the game on the train. 
Last Saturday after the class, I was surprise to see the train was full-packed. It started to rain, but the happiness from the BC fans can't be diminished. It reminded the football games in Oklahoma last year.

Winter is coming. I hope I can catch the train every morning, instead of standing in the snow and waiting for ages.
Rails.

3) As an adult.
To be honest, it is my first time to feel like an adult.
Though studying in States last year, I was in a big group. I had my friends living next door. I had advisers who took care of everything for me, including courses, housing and etc. OU provided me chances to meet with Americans, such as OU cousin and host family. I couldn't work so I relied on my parents financially, though feeling sorry.
But everything is different.
From housing to courses, I have to make every decision by myself. I am too old to totally rely on my parents. I don’t have a group to connect with. Though I have nice classmates and generous professors, I feel I am all alone some time. The feeling that I need to be a fully grown-up shows in my head every moment. Four years after turning into 18-years-old, I finally feel I am obligated to take every responsibility for myself. I know it is late, but I am still happy but scared.
Room. Desks and Chairs assembled by myself.




Everything seems to get better.
Put gym into my schedule. Start to cook. Had my furniture arrived and assembled. Get used to the transportation and the walking pace. Two or more cups of coffee a day. Try to finish homework in school before heading back home. Write journal every day. Fall asleep with music on.

Love life! ;)

 
I couldn't blink or close my eyes every night when I walked out. The sunset is amazing.


没有评论:

发表评论