2013年11月9日星期六

Where is your BLOOD comes from?

Scene #1/ Sep.10, 2013 / OU Cousins Matching Party
Almost one month after I came to America.
I met a girl there. I am so sure she is a Chinese, at least an Asian.
We start to talk. 
I was surprised, because of her English.
She was adopted from China when she was a little kid. 
"I cannot remember anything about China," she said.

Scene #2 / Sep. 19, 2013 / My OU cousin's car
We matched at the matching party. 
She told me she was a Germany American. Some of her uncles are still in Germany.
Some of her relatives are from other countries in Europe.

Scene #3 / Oct. 2013 / Tarah & Brittany's place
I still remember it's my first time to go their place. A lovely home!
They showed me the YouTube clip What kind of Asian are you? 
To be honest, I didn't really get the video at the first time. (Maybe because of the  exaggerated British accent.LOL)
Found this comment.. Hahahahahahahaha

But after this video, I began to realize that the people in this country are not as I thought...


Scene #4 / Oct. 2013 / Huff Gym, outside the racketball room
I take the racketball class this semester.(Super love it!!!)
Somehow, two other students and me becomes parter every class.
One of them is a guy. He seldom smiles (getting better now!) and looks like an Asian.
I was thinking he was from Korea or Japan or Vietnam every class.
Finally, I asked after one class.
"Hey, where are you from or where your parents from?" 
"My parents are from Vietnam," he answered.
Maybe because I've been to Vietnam before, I was excited and wanted to which city.
"Hey, which city are your born? Saigon?" I asked.
"I was born here. I'm an American," he answered.
I wish I could disappear at that moment after his answer.

Scene #5 / Nov. 8 2013 / New York Pizza 
After Gary's great talent show, all Gary's fans went to New York Pizza for dinner together.
(I'll just use letters instead of names)
Because girl A said something like I wanna learn more native American things so we began to talk about the native American.
Girl T told us a part of her blood is native American.
Girl B said "Well, maybe just your left hand is native American."
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. 
Then somehow, my brain stopped working. 
I asked Girl B "Where is your blood comes from?"

Scene #6 / Nov. 8 2013 / Maria's place
I talked about the funny native American thing with Maria's roommate.
She said she was asked  "What are you?" after she said her parents or grandparents(I'm not sure..) are from India.  
Maria asked me "where are you from?" 
Hmmmm.. I think I'm just Chinese, or more specifically, my blood is from Wenzhou City.
And she asked Maggie, a girl from Hong Kong. 
It's a more complicated question. 
Since Hong Kong has been under China since 1997, only 16 years after 156 years under British rule, few Hong Kong people would say they are from China.


---------------
I come from a small city in Wenzhou, where the families' per capita incomes are relatively high but still conservative, especially when involves marriage.
"First criterion, he should be a Wenzhounese," my mom said to me when she thought I was old enough to have a boyfriend.

It takes two and a half hours to fly from my hometown to Xi'an, where my university locates.
I was shocked when my roommate told me her grandmother is from Sichuan, a province in middle part of China.
Another girl's father is from Shandong, a city in east part in China, while her mom is from a city near to Xi'an.
(The reasons that their grandparents and parents can meet each other are all history reasons.)

In China, the controversial household registration system causes many conflicts.
For example, students cannot attend the college entrance examination in other cities except where their household registered.
Also, it is super attractive if the company can help you move your registered permanent registration.
So everyone has a permanent tag. Beijinger, Shanghainese, Xi'anese....


--------------
We always say America is a melting pot. 
And now, people begin to try to show their distinctions.

Forgive me, I'm still the "frog in a well," still feel it is wonderful to find out people from different continents can live together so well.


------------
Ok, last question. Where is your blood comes from? 

没有评论:

发表评论